MARYLAND DAIRY YOUTH WORKSHOP: SHOW LIKE A PRO VIII
Presented by the SHOW LIKE A PRO Program Committee in partnership with the MD
Schedule for Saturday May 13th
12:30 PM (No sooner) Registration
“Checking In at the Fair “
- Pick up workshop materials at registration desk.
- Paperwork and animal inspection-animal must remain on trailer until staff checks.
- Take animal to wash rack
“Tying safely, using the Quick Release Knot” demo/practice.
- New to showing-ask staff person to show you what to do, then practice with them.
- Some experience-ask staff person to watch you and show you if improvement needed.
- Experienced-tie first then ask staff to come check your method.
“Barn Assignments” see Barn staff and unload your equipment.
1:30 PM “Tried and True Methods for Washing” demo/practice.
- Take your hose, wash bucket and other supplies to wash rack.
- Follow directions and listen to lecture and participate in discussion.
- Wash your animal, staff will circulate and offer suggestions or assistance as needed.
Ask staff to check when you think your animal is as clean as possible and all soap is off.
- Leave your animal on the rack to dry, pick up all equipment and return to barn.
2:30 PM “How to Make a Pack” Demo/bedding of stalls and return animal to barn
3:15 PM “Animal Health & Bio-security” Show ring.
3:45 PM “Feeding at a Fair” demo mixing beet pulp in barn.
4:30 PM “Show Box Contents” Talk/demo- Show ring
5:30 PM Dinner
6:30 PM “Basic Show Ring Protocol & Practice” OR “Intro to Advanced Clipping Techniques” OR “Advanced Clipping Techniques” depending on prior experience.
9:00 PM Snack & “Discussion Topics”
Exhibitor Responsibilities, Safety, Interaction with the public as a representative of the dairy industry.
9:30 PM “How to Prepare Your Animal for the Show Ring”
10:00 PM Check animals and get ready for bed.
10:30 PM Lights Out
****Remember to always use buddy system when visiting the restroom. When dark the buddy system must consist of adult/child.
Schedule for Sunday, May 14thth
5:00 AM Wakeup call–wash animal, clean stall and feed.
6:00 AM Breakfast
7:00 AM “Body Clipping” demo/practice OR “Intro to Advanced Clipping Techniques” OR “Advanced Clipping Techniques”
9:00 AM “Assessing Animals to Maximize Movement and Appearance in the Ring”
10:00 AM “Show Ring Performance and Evaluation”
11:00 AM Lunch
11:30 AM Dress and prep animals for the show!
12:00pm 7th ANNUAL SHOW LIKE A PRO DAIRY YOUTH WORKSHOP SHOW
The Purina Dairy Fit-Out Challenge
The Mid-Atlantic Farm Credit Showmanship Contest
**At the conclusion of the show and as you are preparing to leave remember to place all trash in barrels so our staff does not have to complete the task.