MARYLAND DAIRY YOUTH WORKSHOP: SHOW LIKE A PRO IX
Presented by the SHOW LIKE A PRO Program Committee in partnership with the MD PDCA
Schedule for Saturday June 9th
|12:30pm||(No sooner) Registration
Checking In at the Fair
1. Paperwork and animal inspection-animal must remain on trailer until staff checks.
2. Take animal to wash rack
3. Pick up workshop materials at registration desk.
Tying safely, using the Quick Release Knot- demo/practice.
1. New to showing-ask staff person to show you what to do, then practice with them.
2. Some experience-ask staff person to watch you and show you if improvement needed.
3. Experienced-tie first then ask staff to come check your method.
Barn Assignments- see Barn staff and unload your equipment.
|1:30pm||Introduction: Welcome to Show Like A Pro|
|1:40pm||Tried and True Methods for Washing- demo/practice.
1. Take your hose, wash bucket and other supplies to wash rack.
2. Follow directions and listen to lecture and participate in discussion.
3. Wash your animal, staff will circulate and offer suggestions or assistance as needed. Ask staff to check when you think your animal is as clean as possible and all soap is off.
4. Leave your animal on the rack to dry, pick up all equipment and return to barn
|2:30pm||How to Make a Pack– Demo/Bedding of stalls and return animals to Barn|
|3:15pm||Animal Health & Biosecurity|
|3:45pm||Feeding at a Fair-Demo Mixing Beet Pulp|
|4:30pm||Show Box Contents and How to Prepare your Animal for Show Ring-Talk/Demo|
|6:30pm||Basic Show Ring Protocol & Practice OR Intro to Advanced Clipping Techniques OR Advanced Clipping Techniques
(depending on Prior experience)
|9:00pm||Snack & Discussion Topics
Exhibitor Responsibilities, Safety, Interaction with the public
|10:00pm||Check Animals and get Ready for Bed|
Sunday June 10th
|5:00am||Wake-Up Call-Wash Animal, Clean Stall, and Feed|
|7:00am||Body Clipping-demo/practice or Intro to Advanced Clipping Techniques or Advanced Clipping Techniques|
|9:00am||Assessing Animals to Maximize Appearance in the Ring|
|10:00am||Show Ring Performance and Evaluation|
|11:30am||Dress and Prep Animals for Show|
|12 Noon|| 9th Annual Show Like A Pro Dairy You Workshop Show
The Purina Dairy Fit-Out Challenge
The Mid-Atlantic Farm Credit Showmanship Contest
**At the Conclusion of the show and as you are preparing to leave remember to place all trash in barrels so our staff does not have to complete this task!